Thursday, April 23, 2015

Poetry Response 6: "Rites of Passage" by Robert Duncan

I think the narrator is the father of a son who is growing up and becoming a man.  He realizes that something is changing in his son, he describes his change as being something similar to a devil, "horns thrust upward from the brow."  Meaning that his son's change isn't what he wants or is something bad because having horns can represent his son's new stubbornness or likeness to the devil.  His son's feet turn into hooves which beat impatiently which could mean that his son is no longer someone who he understands because he has changed into a completely different species.  The next line describes how his son is no longer youthful or innocent and any innocent view that he still possesses isn't genuine, "your innocent regard is cruelly charming to me now."  It can be inferred that his son is growing up because the narrator can no longer show affection towards his son, he doesn't dare to because his son would move away, you bristle where my fond hand would stir to stroke your cheek."
The narrator and his son are no longer "the same" because their hearts are no longer aligned.  Meaning that they don't understand each other anymore, "irregular meters beat between your heart and mine."  The narrator notices that his son is growing up because he is starting to take over his position and taking on a challenge without his help, "you take the heat and scan the lines you take in going as if I were or were not there." The next line the narrator reveals that he does see that his son has become a man.  When he said, "where it seems but yesterday I spilled the wine," it means that just yesterday he remembers entering adulthood himself because he was still clumsy and unable to hold his wine.
Although the narrator is reluctant to admit that his son is growing up, he accepts it and allows his son to overtake him.  He states, "my longing to sing grows full.  Time's emptied me," which means that he is getting old and can no longer be a "man," someone who is strong, courageous, and fearless.
Where the narrator has lost his manliness, his son has gained, "where my youth was, now the sun in you grows hot."  The narrator states that everything he has done was for his son and now he is willing to back down and let his son take charge of himself.  But I'm not sure what the last line means when it mentions a "she."  I think it might be referring to his wife who he also doesn't have power over, rather she has power over him, and now his son also overpowers him.

Something is taking place.
Horns thrust upward from the brow.
Hooves beat impatient where feet once were.   
My son, youth grows alarming in your face.
Your innocent regard is cruelly charming to me now.   
You bristle where my fond hand would stir
to stroke your cheek. I do not dare.
Irregular meters beat between your heart and mine.   
Snuffling the air you take the heat and scan
the lines you take in going as if I were or were not there
and overtake me.
And where it seems but yesterday I spilld the wine,
you too grow beastly to become a man.
Peace, peace. I’ve had enough. What can I say   
when song’s demanded? —I’ve had my fill of song?   
My longing to sing grows full. Time’s emptied me.
And where my youth was, now the Sun in you grows hot, your day   
is young, my place you take triumphantly. All along
it’s been for you, for this lowering of your horns in challenge. She   
had her will of me and will not
let my struggling spirit in itself be free.

1 comment: