Thursday, May 28, 2015

"To Kill a Mockingbird"

I thought this movie was really entertaining and I think it did a good job of portraying the main parts of the book.  I saw that a couple of other details were not added into the movie which I think might of given each character more depth.  Such as Scout's Aunt visiting and hounding her about being a lady, Scout's relationship with Ms. Maudie as she matures, and Jem's relationship with Mrs. Dubose which could have shed more light on what kind of person/ character Mrs. Dubose was rather than just having her appear as a grumpy old woman.  Also they should have added Scout and Dill's budding romance.

One thing that I noticed was that the story was being told by an older Scout, I'm not sure whether I noticed this while reading the book or not, but it made me want to see and meet the older Scout.  I don't think the book features a part about Scout being older and looking back at the end.  I just remember reading about Scout walking Boo Radley home and finally realizing that you don't know a person until you step into their skin and walk around in it.

My favorite part of the movie was when Scout finally met Boo Radley.  To me it seemed like the climax of the story because in that moment it showed how much she had matured.  At the end of the movie she finally understands what it means to walk in someone else's skin to understand who they are and what they are going through.  Overall I think the movie was good, but unlike the book, the message of the story doesn't seem very clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment